Origin of the Name MacPherson
family history was found in the allfamilycrests.com archives. The Chief of the clan McPherson is called 'Cluny MacPherson'. The MacPhersons of Invereshie are another branch. This branch is called Sliochd Gillies. Skene traces the family from Duncan of Strathnairn, the Parson, of 1438. The Invereshie MacPhersons are from Badenoch. Andrew MacPherson in Cluny and of Grange, in Banffshire, was tenant in Cluny in 1603. Duncan MacPherson of Cluny was defeated in 1672 by MacKintosh in obtaining official recognition as Chief of Clan Chattan. The Invershie and Pitmean families opposed, being real Badenoch MacPhersons descended from Muireach Parson. The MacPhersons had now been recognised by Lyon Court as a Clan, and Cluny as Chief. Lachlan MacPherson married a daughter of Locheil. He died in 1746. The present Cluny MacPherson is now in Australia.
In Ireland this name and its variants were introduced into Ulster Province by settlers who arrived from England and Scotland , especially during the seventeenth century. It was the 'Plantations of Ireland ' in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries that marked the end of Gaelic supremacy in Ireland . While the influx of settlers in the wake of the earlier Anglo-Norman invasion of the twelfth century resulted in a full integration into Irish society of the new arrivals, the same never occurred with the Ulster Planters who maintained their own distinct identity.
The MacPherson coat of arms came into existence centuries ago. The process of creating coats of arms (also often called family crests) began in the eleventh century although a form of Proto-Heraldry may have existed in some countries prior to this. The new art of Heraldry made it possible for families and even individual family members to have their very own coat of arms, including all MacPherson descendants.