Origin of the Name Mulligan
family history was found in the allfamilycrests.com archives.
Over the centuries Surnames developed a wide number of variants. Different spellings of the same name can be traced back to an original root. Additionally when a bearer of a name emigrated it was not uncommon that their original name would be incorrectly transcribed in the record books at their new location. Surnames were also often altered over the years based on how they sounded phonetically and depending on the prevailing political conditions it may have been advantageous to change a name from one language to another.
Variants of the name Mulligan
include Molohan, Milligan, Milliken, and Mulqueen. The sept of O'Mulligan is O'Maolagain in Gaelic. They are of distinguished origin, their chiefs being lords of a territory called Tir McCarthain in the baronies of Boylagh and Raphoe, County Donegal. They were dispossessed in the Ulster Plantation of the early seventeenth century. In modern times the Mulligans are chiefly located in Counties Mayo and Monaghan. In 1659 the Mulligans were found in considerable numbers in Monaghan and in Fermanagh, and also in the Longford-Westmeath area. In Donegal their name was sometimes changed to Molyneux, but this is rare there now. Of this sept was Charles J. Mulligan, 1866-1916, the American sculptor, who was born in County Tyrone. John O'Mulligan, who was Bishop of Leighlin and died in 1431, is also said to be of this line. The names Milligan and Milliken are variants of Mulligan and are almost entirely confined to north-east Ulster .
The Mulligan coat of arms came into existence centuries ago. The process of creating coats of arms (also often called family crests) began in the eleventh century although a form of Proto-Heraldry may have existed in some countries prior to this. The new art of Heraldry made it possible for families and even individual family members to have their very own coat of arms, including all Mulligan descendants.