Origin of the Name Minogue
The origin of the name Minogue
was found in the allfamilycrests.com archives.
Over the centuries Surnames developed a wide number of variants. Different spellings of the same name can be traced back to an original root. Additionally when a bearer of a name emigrated it was not uncommon that their original name would be incorrectly transcribed in the record books at their new location. Surnames were also often altered over the years based on how they sounded phonetically and depending on the prevailing political conditions it may have been advantageous to change a name from one language to another.
Variants of the name Minogue
include Minnog, Minogue, Minnock, Monaghan and Mannix. These names are derived from the Gaelic O'Muineog sept that was located in County Clare and the latter variants are the anglicized forms of this. This sept came from Clare. A sept or clan was a collective term describing a group of persons whose immediate ancestors bore a common surname and inhabited the same territory. Their territory was the townland of Ballyminogue in the parish of Tuamgraney and also the other side of Lough Derg, in the Barony of Lower Ormond, where several families were recorded in the 1659 Census. An early record of the name occurred in the year 1050 in the person of Clerichen O'Muineoc, he being the Bishop of Leighlin who was described in the Annals of Loch Ce as the 'tower of the piety of Erin'. A Walter O'Mynok was called for a trial in the year 1313, he being acquitted of a charge of stealing cattle near Limerick .
The Minogue coat of arms came into existence centuries ago. The process of creating coats of arms (also often called family crests) began in the eleventh century although a form of Proto-Heraldry may have existed in some countries prior to this. The new art of Heraldry made it possible for families and even individual family members to have their very own coat of arms, including all Minogue descendants.