Origin of the Name O'Flaherty
The ancient history of the name O'Flaherty
was found in the allfamilycrests.com archives.
Over the centuries Surnames developed a wide number of variants. Different spellings of the same name can be traced back to an original root. Additionally when a bearer of a name emigrated it was not uncommon that their original name would be incorrectly transcribed in the record books at their new location. Surnames were also often altered over the years based on how they sounded phonetically and depending on the prevailing political conditions it may have been advantageous to change a name from one language to another.
Variants of the name O'Flaherty
include Flaherty and Laverty. The O'Flahertys possessed the territory on the east side of Lough Corrib until the thirteenth century. The head of the sept was known as Lord of Moycullen and as Lord of Iar-Connacht, which, at its largest, extended from Killary Harbour to the Bay of Galway and included the Aran Islands. The Chieftaincy was continued until the beginning of the eighteenth century. The celebrated historian, Roderick or Rory O'Flaherty, 1629-1718, author of Ogygia, was the last recognized Chief of the Name. The Chief of the Donegal sept was Lord of Aileach or Elagh in County Donegal. He is also described by 'The Four Masters' as Tanist of Tyrone. This sept may be regarded as distinct from that of Iar-Connacht.
The O'Flaherty coat of arms came into existence centuries ago. The process of creating coats of arms (also often called family crests) began in the eleventh century although a form of Proto-Heraldry may have existed in some countries prior to this. The new art of Heraldry made it possible for families and even individual family members to have their very own coat of arms, including all O'Flaherty descendants.