Origin of the Name Comiskey
The ancient history of the name Comiskey
was found in the allfamilycrests.com archives.
Over the centuries Surnames developed a wide number of variants. Different spellings of the same name can be traced back to an original root. Additionally when a bearer of a name emigrated it was not uncommon that their original name would be incorrectly transcribed in the record books at their new location. Surnames were also often altered over the years based on how they sounded phonetically and depending on the prevailing political conditions it may have been advantageous to change a name from one language to another.
Variants of the name Comiskey
include McComiskey, Cumiskey, Comaskey, Comesky, Commiskey, Cummiskey and Comerford. These names are derived from the Gaelic MacCumascaigh sept that was originally located in County Monagahan but was later found in Counties Longford and Cavan. A sept or clan was a collective term describing a group of persons whose immediate ancestors bore a common surname and inhabited the same territory. When Gaelic names were anglicized during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries they were often changed to Anglo equivalents that sounded most like their original Gaelic name. The name appears frequently in the Hearth Money Rolls between the years 1664 and 1666 in County Monaghan. It is also found in the Ormond Manuscripts in the seventeenth century. In County Down a lot of Comiskeys have kept the prefix 'Mac'. In Cavan some families of the name Comerford have changed their name to Comiskey.
The Comiskey coat of arms came into existence centuries ago. The process of creating coats of arms (also often called family crests) began in the eleventh century although a form of Proto-Heraldry may have existed in some countries prior to this. The new art of Heraldry made it possible for families and even individual family members to have their very own coat of arms, including all Comiskey descendants.